Sunday, January 6, 2013

Opus One & Bistro Don Giovanni

Today I met my family at the Napa Premium Outlets and got to admire many coach bags before we headed off to the winery. We had a tasting appointment for 2:30 at Opus One. I sampled the 2005 and 2009 vintages. I had to be careful because the tastings there are much larger than normal because they only make a Meritage or "blended" wine. Basically, at my lightweight status coupled by the fact that I had not eaten anything, I was pretty toasty after those two glasses. Not drunk at all, but happy. Everyone got a good laugh when then lady providing the wine asked if I was 21 and if she could see my ID. First of all, my family knows how much I loathe that question, then my father asks if I can get a discount for every year over 21 I am, and then my brother chimes in that I'm just really lucky that drinking doesn't also come with a height requirement!
As we were going to leave I stood up from the couch I was sitting on, folded my leather jacket over my arm and turned to grab my purse off of the couch as well. In doing so, the zipper on my jacket just tapped the edge of my empty wine glass knocking it off balance and sending it over the edge of a small coffee table and onto the carpeted floor. I'll repeat that, carpeted floor, you would think I would have been safe, but no I became the jerk that broke a wine glass! It landed on the floor and the stem just popped off from the bowl. I turned to my mom and said I swear I am not drunk, my zipper did it! (I was driving the "girls" a.k.a. myself, my mom, and Tanya, and didn't want her to take my keys away) Oooh well!

Afterwards we ventured to an interesting marketplace that I had never been to before but my parents had. It was all over when I saw a chocolate shop inside! I mean I had just had a bunch of wine and what goes better with wine than chocolate?! I immediately bought several to share with the family and oh they were so SO good. Other random items were a Dr. Seuss art gallery and some touristy kitchen store where my mom bought me a sign that reads "You Are The Icing On My Cupcake" because I am such a huge cupcake fan. It was a little awkward though when we got to the register and the gay male cashier asks my mom suggestively "Oh, so who is your icing?" To which my mom points to me and replies, "Her, my daughter." It just sounded weird and I don't think it was the answer he was expecting her to say at all!

Finally, we ended up at the restaurant, Bistro Don Giovanni. I think it is "ok," there are better options in my opinion, but my parents like it so we ended up there. We started out with deep fried olives, yum. Then I had a Buratta cheese plate with procuitto, fresh arugula, and toasted ciabatta (which they substituted for me instead of garlic toast because of my allergy). My main dish was "agnolotti di fonduta" which turned out to be a ravioli stuffed with butternut squash purée that was served with a white truffle butter melted over it and sprinkled with a truffled pecorino cheese, also super yummy! At this point I was disgustingly stuffed but what is a fancy dinner without a fancy dessert to go with it? My brother and I split a "Boston" trifle. In case you are wondering what that is, basically the dessert is meant to be reminiscent of a Boston Cream Pie, but a trifle is a layered or tiered dessert served in a tall narrow glass. In this case, the layers were of toasted almonds in clear caramel, then a vanilla custard, followed by a chocolate cake and fudge layer.
As I ate it I remembered the last time I ordered it I was sucking the caramel off the almonds and then placing them on a small dish because I do not really like nuts in my desserts. My mom absentmindedly sees the nuts and starts to eat them while carrying on a conversation with a friend. After a few bites she returns her attention to me, sees that I am spitting out the almonds, demands to know if I did that to the ones she just ate, and was not very happy when I informed her that yes I had in fact spit out all the almonds she just ate! At least she was able to laugh about it tonight when I reminded her of the story.

All in all I came home with a full tummy, an $80 bottle of Overture wine, and a little gift from my mom. I was a happy girl! It was SO great to be with my family and to spend time with my Uncle and his new wife. Everything went smoothly, everyone enjoyed themselves, and now I am in bed ready to pass out. I look forward to talking to you soon!!! Muah!























No comments:

Post a Comment